Powerball is one of the most popular lottery games across the United States, offering huge jackpot prizes that can grow into the hundreds of millions. If you live in or are visiting New York and want to try your hand at Powerball, this detailed guide will teach you everything a beginner needs to know.
How to Play Powerball in New York – The Basics
To play Powerball in New York, you first need to purchase an official Powerball ticket from an authorized state lottery retailer. This can be done at any convenience store, supermarket, gas station, etc. that sells lottery products. Tickets cost $2 per play.
On each ticket, you are free to select between the following numbers:
- The number Of Draws (Entering more than one draw using the same numbers that you will choose) is explained later.
- Any 5 main red numbers between 1-69
- ONLY 1 Powerball white number between 1-26
When the drawing occurs, 5 main numbers and the ONLY ONE Powerball are randomly drawn. Prizes are awarded based on how many numbers you match; we will explain how.
What does the number of draws mean in Powerball (lotto)
When you play Powerball, you usually buy a ticket for just one draw, which is one chance to win. The draw is when they pick the winning numbers. These draws happen three times a week.
But, if you want, you can use your ticket for more than one draw. You have up to “26 consecutive draws”. Instead of your ticket being good for just one draw, it can be good for up to 26 draws. These 26 draws will happen over several weeks.
Here’s an example:
- You buy a Powerball ticket.
- You choose to use it for 6 consecutive draws.
- This means your ticket will be valid for the next 6 times they pick numbers.
- You don’t need to buy a new ticket for each of these 6 times; your one ticket covers all of them.
- If you choose your numbers and opt for 6 consecutive draws, those same numbers will be used in all 6 draws.
- To play different numbers, you would need to purchase a separate ticket.
- So, choosing ” 6 consecutive draws” is a way to play the same numbers in many draws without buying a new ticket each time. It’s like saying, “I want to play these numbers in the next 6 games of Powerball.”
Powerball drawings happen every Monday, Wednesday, and Saturday night. The cutoff for ticket sales is 10 p.m. on the night of the drawing.
Now let’s explore how to pick the best numbers and the many ways you can win prizes in New York’s Powerball!
How to Choose Winning Powerball Numbers
When playing Powerball in New York, you have a couple of options for choosing your numbers:
Pick Your Own Numbers
You can select your own 5 main numbers from 1 to 69 and 1 Powerball number from 1 to 26. Some strategies include:
- Important dates like birthdays
- “Lucky” numbers OR Angel numbers you believe in.
- Quick picks for random selection
- Balanced/spread-out numbers
- Avoid all high or low numbers
Many regular players have favorite digits they stick with or special systems for choosing numbers. Go with what feels right for you!
Use Quick Pick
At lottery terminals where you buy, you can ask for a “Quick Pick,” which randomly assigns numbers. Some players rely entirely on Quick Pick to let fate take the wheel.
While some diehard fans only play certain “lucky” numbers, others believe the randomness of Quick Pick increases their odds. Both approaches have won big jackpots!
How do Powerball prizes work in New York?
Here are all the ways you can win Powerball prizes in New York and the odds:
Match 5 + Powerball – Jackpot Prize
Odds: 1 in 292,201,338
Match all 5 main numbers drawn plus the Powerball. This wins the current jackpot amount, which starts at $40 million minimum and keeps growing based on rolls without a winner. Even a 1/292 million chance is worth it for a shot at hundreds of millions!
Match 5 Main Numbers
Odds: 1 in 11,688,053.52
Match the 5 main numbers but miss the Powerball. This wins a fixed $1 million prize. A nice consolation if you don’t hit the jackpot!
Match 4 + Powerball Numbers
Odds: 1 in 913,129.18
Get 4 of the 5 main numbers plus the Powerball for a prize starting at $50,000. The 4+Powerball prize increases if no one wins the jackpot.
Match 4 Main Numbers
Odds: 1 in 36,525.17
Correctly match 4 out of the 5 main numbers drawn. This wins a prize starting at $100. It goes up if there’s no jackpot winner.
Match 3 + Powerball Numbers
Odds: 1 in 14,494.11
Match 3 of the 5 numbers and the Powerball. Wins a minimum of $100. It can be greater depending on ticket sales.
Match 3 Main Numbers
Odds: 1 in 579.76
Match 3 out of 5 main numbers drawn. Wins a prize of $7.
Match 2 Main Numbers + Powerball
Odds: 1 in 701.33
Correctly match 2 of the 5 main numbers and the Powerball. This wins a free $4 Powerball ticket to play again.
Match 1 Main Number + Powerball
Odds: 1 in 91.98
Match just 1 main number and the Powerball. Wins a free $4 Powerball ticket.
Match 0 Main Numbers + Powerball
Odds: 1 in 38.32
If you somehow manage only to match the Powerball number, you’ll win $4. Use it to buy another ticket!
As you can see, matching even just a couple of numbers can win a prize – and the jackpot only requires an extra number or two. So be sure to check your tickets!
Jackpot Won = Start Over at $40 Million
If the Powerball jackpot is won in New York, the prize amount will reset to the starting jackpot of $40 million for the next drawing.
Jackpots grow based on ticket sales and how long it takes for someone to match all 6 numbers. So if no one wins for many drawings in a row, the top prize can climb into the multi-millions.
Rollover Increases Jackpot Size
When no ticket matches all 6 numbers drawn, this is called a “rollover.” The jackpot then rolls over to the next drawing and increases in size. Rollovers can lead to absolutely massive jackpot amounts in the hundreds of millions of dollars.
So, if no one wins the current jackpot, pay attention to the amount for the next Powerball drawing – it’ll be even bigger!
Tips for Winning Powerball in New York
Here are some final tips to increase your chances of winning Powerball in New York:
- Persist and play consistently over time rather than just occasionally or spur of the moment. You can’t win if you don’t play!
- Join an office or friend lottery pool to afford more number combinations and tickets. More entries increase the odds.
- Take advantage of lottery promotions and contests for bonuses like free tickets and multiplier prizes.
- Avoid repetitive number patterns like 1-2-3-4-5 or 25-30-35-40-45. Mix it up!
- Buy tickets when the jackpot is especially large for a chance at exponentially bigger prizes.
- Use luck-based methods like fortune cookies, horoscopes, and lucky numbers suggested by fortune tellers. It can’t hurt!
- Follow the lottery social media accounts for announcements of new games, promotions, and winning tips.
How to redeem a Powerball ticket?
Here are the steps to claim and redeem a Powerball prize if you win in New York:
- Sign the back of the winning ticket. This establishes ownership and protects against loss or theft.
- Keep the ticket safe! Store it in a secure place until ready to claim. Make photocopies as a backup.
- Determine the prize amount. Match the winning numbers from the drawing to your ticket to confirm the prize won.
- Choose cash or annuity. For jackpot prizes, you must decide between receiving the full amount through annual payments over 30 years or taking a reduced lump sum cash option.
- You must visit one of New York’s 7 lottery claims centers in person to complete paperwork and verify your identity. Bring a valid photo ID. You can Schedule an Appointment at Lottery Claims Center here.
- Complete a claim form. Provide personal information and your winning ticket to lottery officials to process payment. Forms are available at Lottery Claims Centers.
- Get your picture taken. New York requires all jackpot and large prize winners to participate in a press conference and photo op when claiming. Prepare for publicity if you win big!
- Wait for your check. For prizes over $600, a check will be mailed in approximately 3-4 weeks after processing the claim. If that option is chosen, Jackpot prizes may take longer to arrange annuity payments.
- Pay taxes. Remember, Powerball winnings are considered taxable income. You must pay applicable federal and state taxes on prizes over $600. The lottery will withhold taxes automatically before sending payment.
- Celebrate! Once you receive the cash payment, you can spend your Powerball millions and enjoy your big win!
Following these steps carefully ensures you properly claim your rightful Powerball prize in New York. Be sure to get your ticket validated and keep it in a safe place until ready to redeem. Congrats on your win!
New York’s Biggest Powerball Winners
- $200 Million Jackpot – March 2023Split by 2 winning tickets in New York City and Syracuse
- $177 million – Won in February 2022 by a single ticket in Long Island
- $135 million – Won in December 2020 by a single ticket in Brooklyn
- $108 million – Won in April 2022 by a single ticket in Nassau County
- $94.8 million – Won in September 2018 by a single ticket in Brooklyn
- $85 million – Split by 2 winners in November 2016 in Manhattan and Brooklyn
Will a New Yorker claim the next massive Powerball prize? Check the jackpots, and you could be a multimillionaire soon
When is the Next Powerball Drawing in New York?
Powerball Drawings are Held 3 Times Weekly
Powerball drawings are held every Monday, Wednesday, and Saturday evening. In New York, the drawings take place at 10:59 p.m. ET.
So, if you purchase a Powerball ticket in New York, you will be entered into the next upcoming drawing, whether it falls on a Monday, Wednesday, or Saturday night. Drawings are held consistently every week, except for rare exceptions such as a major holiday.
Purchase Tickets by 10:00 p.m. on Drawing Days.
In order to be entered into a particular Powerball drawing in New York, you must purchase your ticket by 10:00 p.m. ET on the night of that drawing.
Ticket sales cut-off times are strictly enforced. So be sure to buy your Powerball tickets before 10:00 p.m. on whichever night the drawing will be held to ensure your entry.
Find the Drawing Schedule Online
You can easily find a full schedule of upcoming Powerball drawing dates and times on the New York Lottery website. This makes it easy to see exactly when you need to purchase tickets by if you hope to participate in the next drawing.
Checking the schedule online also lets you view the jackpot amount for each upcoming drawing, so you can play when the prizes are highest.
What Time is the Powerball Drawing in New York?
As mentioned, Powerball drawings in New York occur every Monday, Wednesday, and Saturday night at 10:59 p.m. ET.
So to recap the key drawing details:
- Drawings are at 10:59 p.m. ET
- Held 3 times weekly – Monday, Wednesday, Saturday
- Tune in to TV or check online to view
- Winning numbers were posted shortly after
Being aware of the New York Powerball drawing times is important if you hope to watch the drawings live or want to be the first to know if you are a winner.
Can Watch Live Drawing on TV
In New York, Powerball drawings are televised live on the following stations:
- WABC-TV New York
- WUTR ABC
- WETM NBC
- WIVT ABC
Viewers can tune in to watch the live drawing show and be among the first to see the winning numbers revealed. Drawing shows are an exciting viewing tradition for loyal lottery players.
Winning Numbers Posted Online Right After
If you miss the live drawings, you can check the New York Lottery website and app shortly after for official results. Winning numbers are typically posted within an hour after each drawing.
This is the fastest way to determine if your ticket is a winner if you didn’t watch the live show. Bookmark the results page for quick access.
When is Powerball in New York?
Powerball lottery tickets can be purchased at any authorized lottery retailer in New York State. This includes gas stations, corner stores, supermarkets, and drug stores. If a retailer sells lottery tickets, they likely sell Powerball too.
Here are some key points about when and where you can play Powerball in New York:
- Play 7 days a week, 365 days a year
- Purchase tickets during normal business hours
- Find 10,000+ retailers statewide
- Look for the familiar Powerball logo
Powerball tickets can be purchased every day the lottery is open in New York, giving you plenty of opportunities to play.
Daily Ticket Sales Cut-Off at 10 p.m.
While Powerball tickets can be purchased all day, sales do end at 10:00 p.m. ET on the night of each drawing.
Tickets cannot be purchased after the 10 p.m. cutoff, so get your Powerball tickets before then to ensure entry into that night’s drawing.
Many retailers stop selling an hour or so before the deadline, so don’t wait until the last minute!
Subscription Plans Available
For frequent players, New York offers Powerball subscription plans to automatically purchase tickets for future drawings.
Subscriptions can be set up for 4, 8, 16, or 20 weeks at a time. This avoids having to buy tickets manually each time.
Subscriptions can be managed online or through the mobile app. It’s an easy, convenient way to play!
Can You Buy Powerball Tickets Online in New York?
Online Play Not Allowed in New York
Unfortunately, New York does not currently allow online sales of Powerball tickets. All ticket purchases must be made in person at authorized lottery retailers.
This policy is not unique to New York. Most states with lottery games still require in-person ticket sales.
However, a few states do offer limited online ticket sales within state borders. So, online play may expand to New York someday.
Can I buy Powerball out of state?
Some websites based out of state may claim to sell authentic Powerball tickets online. However, it’s illegal to purchase lottery tickets online across state lines.
These types of sites likely operate in a legal gray area and should be avoided. In New York, only buy tickets directly through licensed in-state retailers.
For now, taking a trip to your local retailer is still required for Powerball! Convenience stores are happy to have your business.
How Much is a Powerball Ticket in New York?
Powerball tickets cost $2 per play in New York. This is the standard base price across all participating states.
Some key ticket costs:
- $2 per Powerball play
- Covers entry into the next drawing
- Can play up to 10 drawings out
- Share ticket costs with the group to save
So a single Powerball ticket with 1 board/play will cost $2. For 2 plays on one ticket, the cost is $4, and so forth. It’s $2 extra per additional play.
Players can choose to play anywhere from 1 to 10 consecutive drawings on a single ticket. No discounts are offered for playing multiple drawings.
How Much is the New York Powerball Jackpot?
Jackpot Starts at $40 Million
In Powerball, the minimum starting jackpot is $40 million. Once someone wins the jackpot, the prize resets to this amount for the next drawing.
From there, the jackpot grows based on game sales and rolls over each time no winner is selected. So it’s anyone’s guess how high it may climb!
Jackpot Hits the Billions
The Powerball jackpot has no limit. In the past, the top prize has climbed to insane heights – even over $1 billion!
In January 2016, the world record $1.586 billion Powerball jackpot was shared by winners in California, Florida, and Tennessee. Can you imagine??
Hundreds of millions are more common. But with enough rolls without a winner, massive jackpots over $500 million can happen.
Enter Lottery Pools, Groups, Syndicates
Joining a Powerball pool or group that purchases tickets on members’ behalf provides a form of “online play”.
You can join a pool online, pay into the group digitally, and participate in the tickets bought with pooled funds. If your group wins, you get a share.
This is a popular (and legal) option to play Powerball without local ticket access.
Use Rewards Websites and Apps
Some rewards websites and apps like Swagbucks allow users to exchange points for entries into real-life Powerball drawings.
You can earn points through online activities like surveys and then redeem them for digital lottery tickets. If you win, you claim the prize!
While not a direct ticket purchase, it achieves a similar result. Check terms carefully first.
How Late Can You Play Powerball in New York?
In New York, players can purchase Powerball tickets up until 10:00 p.m. ET on the night of the drawing.
Many lottery retailers stop selling tickets an hour or so earlier, so don’t wait too long!
Here are some tips for late Powerball players:
- Find 24-hour convenience stores or supermarkets if playing close to the cutoff
- Triple check closing time for your retailer
- Buy early in the day to avoid last-minute rushes
- Set a phone alarm reminding you to buy tickets in time
- Avoid missing the deadline and losing your chance to play
As the saying goes, the early bird gets the worm! Buying tickets earlier in the day ensures you won’t run into any timing issues. But if needed, you can wait until the last minute.
In summary, playing Powerball in New York is easy – just visit a local retailer, pick your lucky numbers, and you could win big! With drawings held frequently, huge jackpots up for grabs, and simple play, be sure to get in the game. Just maybe, you’ll wake up a millionaire next time!